Saturday, June 14, 2014

Laurence Olivier and The Old Vic ...oh yes, and Richard Armitage



Richard Armitage Signing his Crucible Poster with what looks like
Photo of Lord Laurence Olivier in the background

Laurence Olivier, son of an Anglican minister, was claimed in his lifetime as the greatest English-speaking actor of the 20th century and the first actor to receive a life peerage, Laurence Kerr Olivier, Baron Olivier.



 In 1944 after serving in the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm in World War II, Lord Laurence teamed with longtime friend Ralph Richardson (also a great actor, and later a knight) to revitalize the fabled Old Vic Theatre. This new phase of his career allowed Olivier to appear in an extensive repertory of  Shakespearean roles of his choosing, but also allowed him to direct, though he had been doing so sporadically since the 1930s.



Olivier's Old Vic repertory company, then housed in the building today known as the Old Vic, formed the core of the National Theatre of Great Britain on its formation in 1963, under Laurence Olivier. The National Theatre stayed at the Old Vic until the new National Theater building we know today was constructed on the South Bank in 1976.

Laurence Olivier Photo (Old Vic) 



The Old Vic first opened in May 1818




As a fan, or well-wisher, or supporter, whatever we want to call ourselves, of Richard Armitage for a few years now, I have to wonder what this moment is like for him personally.  How does he feel to see his name above the title and to be at the Old Vic, knowing the history of this theater, and the legendary actors, like Laurence Olivier, who came before him.  





(Sources: Britannica.com, Rob Wilton's Theatricalia, Wikipedia, The Old Vic)




10 comments:

  1. Let's hope for some promo interviews so we can find out what Richard's thoughts are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the same, though I sometimes despair of the press asking him an intelligent question.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for putting this question. I wonder this, too, because I had moments like this professionally -- when I'd order a book in a German library and it would be delivered and I would see Martin Luther's handwriting in it. It was the craziest feeling but it was also like, I can't think about this, I have my own stuff to do. Of course, I am no Martin Luther!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that Servetus, what is it like to know you're following in those footsteps, a connection to history? Wonder if we'll have any interviews with him as opening night gets closer?

      Delete
    2. I'm guessing one big(ish) interview with him in a major location or locations either next Sunday or just before the official opening night. Then maybe more if the reviews are good? Just guessing.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder this too. I assume (and I hope) it feels damn good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does too alyssa - feel good that is :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely post! I'm guessing that the placement of RA in front of the Olivier in character portrait was intentional--in no small part to draw these types of intelligent issues about the tradition of English theatre and history to the forefront.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gratiana - I think I should have added to the post that we have no confirmation that it is actually a photo of Olivier, but I think you're right that it was intentional.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...